From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:42:51 -0400
>We purchased some 8 frame brood chambers. 9 frames will just exactly fit
in this brood chamber.
>Why?? Spacing is different to the space in 10 frame equipment.
If I recall correctly the inter​ior dimension if the Better Bee 8 frame
hive and the Brushy Mountain 8 frame hive are the "standard" dimension as
noted in the Hive and the Honey Bee.  The Mann Lake 8 frame box is 1/4"
larger.  Never had the opportunity to check others.  (I should check
recheck the Hive and Honey Bee,  sometimes memory fades)

I think that even with the BB or BM 8 frame box you can insert 9 NEW clean
frames.  You would never get 9 old frames into the BB/BM boxes unless they
were very clean of propolis.

We use mostly BM 8 frame equipment and excessive burr comb has NEVER been a
problem.  Usually no burr comb between the outside frame and the box.

Why the difference between the space between the frames and the wall of the
box is a question I never could find an answer to.  I did ask someone at
Mann Lake about this and they replied that there was no standard for 8
frame equipment.  I think that the OD of the Mann Lake box is an even 14"
not the 13-3/4" of the BM.

A similar conundrum: In the 1901 WT Falconer beekeeping equipment catalog,
both 8 frame and 10 frame equipment was available.  Why did the 10 frame
become the standard?  Maybe because we have 10 fingers?  We use the decimal
system not octal?

Dennis
​Western New York, USA​