From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2014 06:58:53 -0800
Hello all,
This thread reminded me that I have been wanting to discuss this issue lately, too. For years, I have thought that mother's diet probably has little relation to milk production and that mother's really need to be very malnourished before they are unable to produce adequate milk supply. However, now I am beginning to have some doubts about this. At the risk of starting an argument about vegetarianism (I promise I'm not bashing vegetarians), I'm finding that I'm seeing a trend of slow weight gain babies more frequently with vegetarian and vegan moms in the family practice in which I work. Has anyone else seen the same? For years, I've thought it was only coincidence, but then I came across this study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24051037

Protein restriction in the rat negatively impacts long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid composition and mammary gland development at the end of gestation.

When they fed rats a low protein diet during pregnancy, it affected their mammary tissue development during the third trimester of pregnancy. I'm not saying vegetarian moms can't breastfeed, but I wonder if maybe they need to pay special attention to the amount and quality of protein that they take in during pregnancy and lactation? If poor protein intake results in less mammary gland development, it may make it difficult for them to maintain an adequate milk supply.

Has anyone else noticed this same trend?

Thank you,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC