From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2014 16:46:22 +1000
Yes, those are good points, Nikki.  As it's easily available, fenugreek is
too often being used today as a first action, without information about
whether this is appropriate - and often without information about the need
to breastfeed frequently enough and check the latch gives efficient milk
transfer. The consumer doesn't realise that it is a drug and may have
interactions. This is where someone skilled in breastfeeding assistance,
such as an IBCLC, can provide the information and support the shop didn't
give.

There are other implications, too, which may be more common than is
realised. One of my colleagues tells of a mother who consulted her, who had
started taking fenugreek for perceived low supply - and her baby promptly
refused the breast altogether and wouldn't go near it, objecting to the
change in skin odour.  It was a few days after the mother stopped taking
this herbal drug before her baby resumed breastfeeding. So, in this case,
fenugreek almost lost the mother and baby their breastfeeding.

We need to remember that, in breastfeeding as in life, there is no "magic
bullet" pill that solves everything. All the factors need to be weighed up.

Virginia
in Brisbane, Queensland