From:
Elisabeth Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 08:11:12 -0400
Pamela,

Thank you for this post. I am in agreement with everything you are saying
here and struggle with the same issues with laid-back positioning and
hands-off teaching. I have had the same experiences as you described and
find so much more success when I ask the moms if I can help (touch). I had a
personal experience as well when my daughter gave birth to her first baby
four weeks ago. I watched her and her baby struggle at the breast for
several hours (baby would get frustrated and then just fall asleep). After a
couple of hours of this cycle, I could see the look on my daughter's face
(of course, I know my child so I could tell she was frustrated!), so I asked
her if she would like me to help, and she very firmly said "YES!!"  I helped
her position the baby in the cradle hold, create a nipple sandwich, showed
her how to stimulate a wide-open mouth, and got the baby on the breast. That
was all she needed!  After that, they sailed along and never struggled
again. She needed to be SHOWN!  I am less comfortable doing this with
strangers because everyone believes we should be hands-off, but I always
find it works. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Elisabeth Coble, RN, CPN, CLC (IBCLC candidate 2014)