From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:11:33 -0400
Fellow lactneters I'm in need of your wise letter writing skills please!

I'm a little beside myself as the following transaction happened yesterday
at a local pediatric office.
My very wonderful Haitian peer counselor was breastfeeding her sick almost
2yo daughter in the office
while waiting to be seen. The doctor walked into the exam room and stated
she has to "stop breastfeeding as she
is almost 2". Breastfeeding over a year is like "slavery" (yes she used
that as a comparison and
she is a black woman..tell me that isn't super charged!). She went on to
explain there is nothing
in breastmilk and the child "considers the mom as his slave and can grab
the breast wherever
she is". She also stated that "breastfeeding counselors go to far".

She left my poor PC feeling angry, sad and speechless. In her
kindness/forgiving nature she
allowed the doctor her opinion since she "hasn't had the amazing experience
of having a child".

I feel a response is necessary, especially after attending the ILCA
conference sessions on racial
disparities etc. Now that I've calmed down a bit I've formulated somewhat
of a response but wanted
some input from the wise Lactnetters :-)

Here is what I have so far...

Dear Dr X.,

I'm very upset about a conversation that occurred between you and my peer
counselor Berthilde. She was feeding her sick almost 2yo in your office
when you entered and made some very disturbing remarks regarding
breastfeeding. She states you told her that breastfeeding was akin to
"slavery", that there was nothing in breastmilk after a year and that the
child just thinks he can have the mothers breast whenever he feels like
it.  You also said that breastfeeding counselors go to far! REALLY! While
you are entitled to your opinion, my practice is evidence based and the
evidence states the following: (I will put some of the references found on
the kelleymom pdf on extended breastfeeding).

I am just back from my professional conference where the focus was on
racial disparities and helping black women breastfeed because
their babies are at higher risk. In addition I learned why human milk is so
different and important to the human species from a neurobiological
standpoint (species specific oligosaccharides that contribute to brain
growth and immune health). Perhaps it is opinions such as yours that keep
all women not just black women from offering the best nutrition to their
babies and keeping their babies growing healthy, strong and smart. Please
consider reviewing the evidence before making remarks that are not
consistent with the evidence, prevent the best start for babies and damage
the self esteem / parenting of a mother.

Is this too much? Appropriate?  Help please!

--
Ilene Fabisch, Brockton, MA
Brockton WIC Program