From:
Gail Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 17:09:29 -0400
Elisabeth writes <Good thing is, the next pedi to come on will just change the orders. >

 That's what I mean. There are a lot more doctors out there that know some bf management. Back when I was a medical student and wrote the first edition of the Little Green Book (1996) there was only one or two docs that you could count on to be pro bf, and if they weren't on nursery rotation that month, you were stuck. We have come a long way.

The reason I posted about why those docs are stuck was to give people some insight. Because I feel that if you understand why someone does something, it gives you an opportunity to change behavior. Back in 1996, sitting in that call room over lunch with my breast pump was when it occurred to me why the docs were giving out such awful advice to Breastfeeding moms....no one was teaching them about Breastfeeding except the formula companies. (Well, duh, of course!) So, armed with that bit of information I set out to share what I had figured out about Breastfeeding.

If you've ever worked in a hospital, you know doctors are always going to "Grand Rounds" and and lunch meetings and conferences where we are exposed to lots of new ideas and practices. We are given a handout of important points which we take home and put on a stack of other good hand outs, until we have a ream of paper on the corner of our desks. Right where we need it, no? No, not there, we don't need it on the corner of our desks we need it in our pockets, which is why the Little Green Book was created.

To the original poster of the supplementation prescription thread here's a idea:
I'm not suggesting everyone go out and write their own little green book. But there are very good protocols written by ABM one of them is on supplementation. Could you condense the information from the protocol on an index card(referencing the protocol), laminate it and make it available to the docs that could use it? Would it mean more coming from another doc? Find a local doc that is bf friendly and do it together.

Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC, FABM
Author of The Little Green Book of Breastfeeding Management