Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:58:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Well, I have a BIG problem with it.  It is conflating SIDS with overlaying.    That is just unethical, in my opinion.   Parents have a natural terror of SIDS- it can't be helped.  As a grandmother, I could get myself pretty stressed at times, thinking about the specter of SIDS.  But I NEVER, ever, worried about my son and daughter-in-law overlaying my grandbabies.  In fact, I was grateful that they were co-sleeping, breasfed infants and babies.  That is protective.  

Drugs, alcohol, smoking?  Sure they are linked to SIDS.  But not in the way the poster depicts it.  If a mother smoked (and to some extent, used drugs and alcohol) during pregnancy, she has increased her babies' risk of SIDS, whether she sleeps with him or not!

Let's tell parents the truth.  If you use during pregnancy, you can damage your child's brain and increase the risk of SIDS after he is born.

If you take your child to bed with anyone who has been smoking, drinking, or using a substance, they could roll over on the child, or the child could be harmed by the smoking exposure.

If you did none of the above, and you breastfeed, take your baby to bed!  It's protective for SIDS and there is no worry of overlaying unless you or the other parent is an unusually heavy or unusually exausted sleeper.  Committed, sober, smoke free adults only may sleep safely with the baby.  

Sue Jacoby
California

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2