Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:36:41 -0800
Sender:
From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
In response to the question about why a nurse would ask: "maybe it's something you are eating", perhaps we need to delve more deeply into this "mundane" topic...

I realize that mothers from many parts of the world and the US may be malnourished and still provide adequate milk for their babies...we just had a 14 year old whose blood pressure was so low that the nurse couldn't find it - still breastfeeding her healthy baby despite dehydration and lack of food in the household!

But perhaps the question should be worded "could we go over what you ate in the last 24-48 hours?"

I have learned of mothers following "juice diets" and bulimics, mothers who want to be back to pre-pregnancy weight by 6 weeks, another mom whose lack of food (yes, in California!) meant that all the food was going to her 5 children, moms who are suffering from depression and just don't eat...

When mom has no reserves (physical or emotional)...it does affect the milk production and/or transfer, by perhaps affecting the frequency or length of feeds, emotional responsiveness, etc.

Slow/no weight gain can be a symptom of other issues besides maternal nutrition - but an evaluation of her intake can at times open doors that lead you to what is really happening...if you listen!

In my experience, before we assume the issue is not maternal diet, it is important to develop trust and openness and be specific in our questions not just "you eat OK, don't you?"... so that they actually share the information you need to identify what is needed.

This may not be the issue with this particular case...but wanted to share another side of the story...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
La Leche League Leader - Vacaville, CA