From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2014 23:35:21 +0000
Mandy

There's some pretty good info about maternal diet and breastfeeding
on this LLLI info sheet, see
https://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html.  In fact, a breastfeeding
mother has to be quite severely malnourished (losing not only body
fat but also muscle) for it to have any effect on either the quantity
or the quality of her breastmilk.   So the fact that the baby is not
gaining adequate weight (an ounce in two weeks is _not_ enough) has
almost nothing to do with what the mother eats.  As a rough guideline
the baby should have gained an ounce a day for the first 3 months of
life and 2/3 or an ounce a day for the next three months, ie roughly
7 lb over birthweight by four months of age.  From your description
it sounds like this hasn't happened?  And if not, it sounds as if the
the baby needs a close breastfeeding assessment, with careful
attention to positioning and attachment and noting swallowing (my
guess would be that there is little swallowing and that the baby
mainly hangs out flutter-sucking at the breast for long
periods...)   Mother may need to be taught how to express her milk
after (hopefully short-ish, not more than 30 minute long)
breastfeeds, so that she can use her EBM to supplement the baby, and
drain her breasts more efficiently to re-stimulate her milk supply.

As an IBCLC living and working in the UK I confess that I'm becoming
increasingly concerned by the very casual attitude of clinic staff to
inadequate weight gain.  Mothers I've worked with have been fobbed
off and reassured that their babies are fine when they're not.  And
then suddenly there's a big panic when someone realizes that the baby
is badly underweight, and often Social Services are called in, and
the mother is charged with neglect of her infant.  In addition, I
think this is probably not helped by local guidance for very
infrequent weight checks, eg   DoH protocol available at
<http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/DoH%20info%20for%20healthcare%20professionals.pdf>http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/DoH%20info%20for%20healthcare%20professionals.pdf
"Babies should be weighed in the first week as part of the assessment
of feeding and thereafter as needed. ....If parents wish, or if there
is professional concern, babies can be weighed at 6-8 weeks, 12 and
16 weeks....
If there is concern, weigh more often; however, weights measured too
closely together are often misleading, so babies should be weighed no
more than:
once a month from 2 weeks to 6 months of age
once every two months from 6 to 12 months of age
once every three months over the age of 1 year.
However, most children do not need to be weighed this often; families
should be reassured that they can attend for advice without having
their baby weighed."

It's good that you're raising questions now.  Best wishes to this
mother and baby.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England