Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 06:37:21 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
One thing I learned from LLL was that great phrase, "Some mothers find. . ."  I am very much a concrete, western thinker. I want things to make sense to my mind before I try them. That said, when my standard stuff isn't working, I have no qualms saying, "I have no personal experience with this, and honestly it sounds pretty woo to my Midwestern American brain, but I have colleagues who think it's a great thing, and if you want a referral, I'll help you find one."

I didn't believe in acupuncture for 20 years of adulthood. Then a practitioner I knew pulled out a galvanometer, which fits my mode of thinking. I thought a "healing touch" was equivalent to delusions of grandeur, until I met my last, now retired masseuse, a very ordinary, very Christian grandmother who could put her hands on me and explain and fix problems physicians.

I guess I consider this to be hand in glove with the cultural awareness we take for granted. It's not fair to look in from the outside and make a proclamation.  Moms from other cultures have lots of beliefs we may find silly, but we keep it to ourselves.  Even damaging things, like throwing away colostrum, we handle with great care.

For the record, I am still very suspicious of anything that falls under the umbrella of energy medicine. It's just too intangible for me, and there is no real live person present in my life to take an afternoon to explain it. I stand ready to be corrected, but for now, that isn't a tool in my toolbox.

Lynn Carter OFS LLLL IBCLC
Missouri USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2