From:
Ingrid Groenewald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 06:09:25 +0000
I have been on Lactnet for many years now and am learning so much from all of you. Today I would also like to post something to try and help a mother I am seeing with her baby.I have permission from her.

This mom, has a baby boy,who is now 10 weeks old. He was born by Cesarean birth at term. Struggled to latch initially and came to me a few times. With lots of patience and perseverance, baby did manage to latch but has never been a happy baby on the breast. He started expressing and giving that milk to him in Calma bottle in those times where baby was just very unhappy and when she felt that she could not fight with that feed any longer. She is however feeding mainly on the breast but it is a big struggle, so much so that she is now trying to find a solution or to stop breastfeeding. It is very frustrating and heart breaking to this mother as she is very pro breastfeeding. Her mother-in-law has been a Laleche league leader for many years, is very supportive to her but lives far away.

I have examined the baby, could not see any abnormality. I referred her to an occupational therapist as I was thinking perhaps a touch sensitivity. He is however, happy to be picked up and cuddled. She also saw an ENT, but no abnormality seen. She is also going to see a craniosacral therapist as well as a ciropractor.

What am I missing? She is comfortable with the baby, positions him correctly, tries latching him correctly but as soon as she gets him into feeding position and he realizes this is what is happening, he starts to become unhappy.

Hope someone has an idea.

Ingrid Groenewald

IBCLC

sisteringrid.co.za