Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 11:44:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi All,

It's been a while since I have been able to access Lactnet easily and I miss the heck out of it!

I'd like to respond to this topic - with answering the first question:  What did I miss?

Honestly you provided such a wonderful detailed history that I didn't feel like YOU missed anything.  What was missed was the tongue tie early on by the Dr (when mom asked) and the structural issues.  Of course baby is going to get frustrated at breast - he cannot feed himself easily or comfortably.   Then there were delays in treatment, or resistance to treatment...which caused more issues for baby - in other words:  Baby did not get the treatment and relief he needed to be able to feed thereby causing him extended days of frustration and discomfort.

Now, baby has had the 2nd revision and one session with the osteopath.  Lots of (hopefully happy) oral exercises are being done to help him retrain, but he will need more than once a week treatment (bodywork) to put his little body back to a fully functional condition.  Generally speaking, twice weekly for the first couple weeks (especially when they are as old as this little guy is) are needed to hit the 'reset' button on the body's nervous and muscular systems.  They are conditioned and used to living and functioning in a state of dysfunction and will seek to get back to that place of 'comfort' (where the body knows how to compensate) and will need repeated 'messages' saying - 'no baby, that's not where you need to be...you need to be over here, like this, to be able to function correctly.'

So at this point - did YOU miss anything?  No.  What needs to happen?  Baby needs treatment and lots of it.  Osteo, Chiro, CST (this one is good for releasing the muscles and emotional yuck) - steady and consistent until all problems are worked out and baby is happy at breast again.  Can he get there?  Yes...but will it happen overnight?  No.  It will take time.  Had moms Drs recognized these issues at the get go...she likely wouldn't be here now...she'd have been encouraged to get the help baby needs rather than being blown off...

Warmly,
Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, RLC, CIIM, BT, BC

www.breastfeedingnetwork.net

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2