From:
Linda Bubeck IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:56:58 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I struggled with whether or not to post this.  I am very upset with the IBLCE.  My initial certification was nothing like this experience.  I  had my exam results code and knew very early on exactly what day the results would be available.

Today I received someone else’s EXAM CODE in the mail from the BOARD!  Her name was on the envelop with my address. I recently inquired as to exactly when would we get our test results.  I was told that the exam codes would be e-mailed mid-October and that the written confirmation would be mailed by the end of October.  Who has my code?  Anyone else out there have someone else's code?

This recertification has been exasperating to say the least!  My online application went through to the IBLCE three times.  The payment did not go through.  Try that on a merchant’s website!  I don't believe an order would go through without the payment on Amazon. Because I wanted the reward points on my credit card for the cost of the exam and it didn't go through with the application, I needed to wait for a special form to make the payment through the mail.

At one point I received an e-mail asking “Dear Jennifer” (my name is Linda), do you intend to use the name Linda Louise Bubeck on your ID to take your exam!  Obviously someone was having a bad day at the office.

Then when I was expecting authorization to book my seat at an exam site, the e-mail came out announcing that the application deadline was being extended.  The Board forgot to remind people about the deadline and were thereby extending it to make up for their mistake?!  This meant that those of us who made the deadline would wait longer for the latecomers to get processed.  So much for towing the line.

Applicants were told that their photo ID must match their registration ID.  The BOARD provided our names to the testing centers.  May 30th as I’m about to book one of the three remaining seats in my area, I notice that my middle name which is listed on my photo ID is not listed in the testing center’s information. I sent off an e-mail to the Board and thank God it was answered that night!   I was told to go ahead and book my seat.  The Board had instructed Pearson Vue to accept matching first name, last name and address.  I did not need to worry about the omission of my middle name.  In other words, the Board had messed up what they provided to Pearson Vue and had to amend their stance on the matter.

This process should not be this difficult.  The way it's done has got to change!  What other profession goes through this?  I understand we have to re-cert by exam every ten years but we should be able to book our test and get our results like nursing students do!  Also we should have a second chance at passing that isn’t a year later!  This is my JOB!  I’m a hospital IBCLC.  If I failed I can’t even give my employer two weeks notice!  Furthermore, once I lose this job it will be gone (for me)!  It won’t be there for me a year later.  Five years plus of service ended in disgrace.  But with all the mistakes the BOARD has made throughout this experience, I may not believe my results without seeing the raw score from Pearson Vue.

Stressed to the limits,
Linda Bubeck
843-495-0554

One last thought…Albert Einstein once said, “Never memorize something that you can look up”.