Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:19:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
We have had multiple moms complaining about loss of supply with all but the Medela Advanced Pump. Just fill in the blank on the brands.  And EVEN with the Medela, if they are not also breastfeeding well with good milk supply, there is a struggle.  I work in a hospital with lots of young nurses and a strong emphasis on breastfeeding when returning to employment.  Directors have been educating managers on the importance of providing breaks and some floor have set up their own pumping rooms plus extra rooms in each building.  The nurses use a variety of pumps but when there's a supply issue the Symphony has beat them all hands-down.  WE gave up our Lactinas because the symphonies were better.  I have also done trial with the Playtex and found over 2 weeks mom's milk supply diminished.  Mother right now has a free Ameda Elite pump provided by her insurance company.  Has just reported she is renting a symphony because the Ameda is not doing the job.  Two-phase is not just about speed and pressure adjustments.  There's something else going on here that makes a difference. 

The sad thing is moms may do OK in the first 2 weeks with an inferior pump and a non-nursing baby, but after that 2 weeks when breast fullness is gone (my theory only), there's less "push" to drain the breast with stimulation of the pump.  Remember, vacuum does not pull the milk out - "other forces push" as Jean Cotterman says.  That means the job of the pump is to stimulate let-down, then "do no harm" - don't squeeze down on the areola and prevent the milk from ejecting - keep the milk flowing outward as fast as possible.  Best results I've seen is when a mom can drain her breasts in less than 10 minutes.  That requires the right rate and vacuum level and no blockages caused by tight flanges or too much areola drawn down into the flange.  

We have to remember that we are dealing with variety of humans not white rats in a lab where everything is genetically controlled to be the same. So sometimes you can have folks that do fine with an inferior pump but others that can't.  Err on the side of caution is my motto. 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allyson Wessells

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:23 PM

Subject: Re: 'Worst' Breast Pumps

Hello,

Glad to see the discussion on breast pumps especially in light of insurance now starting to cover pumps for mothers here. I was asked today about breast pumps by a mother expecting her second child in November. She returned to work with her first child 2 years ago but had difficulty getting consistent volume with the pump that she used. She is unable to recall model at this point but fortunately managed to breastfeed beyond a year at least. She is anticipating return to work again this time at 12 weeks and is inquiring about which pump to consider, hoping to avoid the volume issues she experienced last time. After calling her insurance carrier she learned that the following are covered fully for her and is asking me for input...

Ameda Purely Yours

Medela Personal Advanced Double Pump

PJ Bliss

Playtex Double Electric Pump

Any experience or recommendations?

Thanks so much,

Allyson Wessells, LLLL

Columbus, Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2