From:
Marsha Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:40:32 -0400
Yes, I often speak on formula composition at conferences and in-services.
Was there a particular question that you had?

Also, I found the post regarding the physician who did not believe that
breastmilk had much value very interesting. Sounds like someone believes
the guff that formula companies have been spreading very thickly lately.
The data on how formula affects the gut microbiome is very compelling in
terms of how different formula is from human milk. I wonder how this
physician justifies how a manufactured product could come anywhere near the
dynamics of how human milk affects infants. None of the ingredients in
formula are human-derived and simply do not act in the same manner as those
in human milk. The oligosaccharides in formula come from pectin, the DHA
from fermented microalgae, the ARA from soil fungus, the fats (oils) from
genetically modified corn and soy, etc. Studies have shown how some preterm
infants cannot digest infant formula which reaches their gut as whole
intact proteins and causes an inflammatory reaction (can anyone say NEC!!).
One study showed how infant formula in a preterm gut actually caused gut
cells to explode. Last time I checked, human milk didn't do that!

The beliefs this physician has are very worrying as it sounds like he/she
was just recently trained. Of course this is probably not too surprising
based on the thousands of dollars spent on each medical student, intern,
and resident by the formula companies.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA