Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2013 00:51:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (115 lines)
I don't know if any of you have heard of the The Milky Way, A movie about Breastfeeding in America. I just watched the trailer and it seems really great !. High quality and professionally done.  It is now on Kick Starter as a project, if you want to check it out. I wish we could get it aired on prime time. I think it would be valuable in helping turn this aircraft carrier around, by aircraft carrier I mean our current Societal/Cultural attitudes towards Breastfeeding, which I think is half the battle. Normalizing it. Lisa Mooney, RN MSN CNM IBCLC 

> Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 00:00:36 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 5 Jul 2013 (#2013-368)
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> There are 2 messages totaling 107 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>   1. L. reuteri drops for infants
>   2. Getting 7 MO baby to breast
> 
> Lactnet Archives are at:
> LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
> http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> LACTNET Facilitators
>  Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
>  Rachel Myr, midwife, IBCLC
>  Kathy Koch PhD
>  Linda Pohl
>  Karleen Gribble PhD
>  Norma Ritter, IBCLC
>  Nina Berry PhD
> 
> Questions to [log in to unmask]
> 
>              ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:42:26 -0400
> From:    Cassie - LLLC <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: L. reuteri drops for infants
> 
> Hello Judy,
> 
> I have no answer to your question about the availability of drops, but found the following on the Wikipedia description (I looked since I had no idea what you were writing about...).  I wonder if it is an option for the mother you write about if she can't find drops anywhere?
> 
> "Although L. reuteri occurs naturally in humans, it is not found in all individuals. Therefore, dietary supplementation is needed to introduce and maintain high levels of it in some people. Oral intake of L. reuteri has been shown to effectively colonize the intestine of healthy people; colonization begins rapidly within days of ingestion, although the levels in the body drop within several months after intake is stopped.[20] Furthermore, L. reuteri is found in breast milk,[21] and oral intake on the mother's part likewise increases the amount of L. reuteri present in her milk, and the likelihood that it will be transferred to the child's body.[22]"
> 
> All the best,
> Cassie Kent
> LLLC, IBCLC
> 
> 
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 5 Jul 2013 20:13:03 -0600
> From:    Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Getting 7 MO baby to breast
> 
> I just put up some pictures and instructions on how to combine the tube of a nursing supplementer with a bottle nipple, for use in getting babies used to feeding in a position where they can reach the breast.  Some moms have used it with a nipple shield, too.  I thought of it one night in 1991, while I was trying to think of something to get my over the hump in my several month's long battle to get my daughter, Julia, to the breast.  It worked like a charm, and has been used with many other babies, since then. What it does is get the baby comfortable in a position where they could take the breast.  Mom can start baby out in the position he's comfortable in and then gradually turn him closer, as soon as he becomes more comfortable. Once he's starting out feedings with the bottle nipple placed directly over the breast, what usually works is to let them take most of the supplement they need and then, when they are mostly asleep, but still sucking, move the nipple and see if he will take the breast.  Sometimes, it helps to go to a nipple shield after that.  Of course, you adapt it to fit the situation, but it has helped many 
> situations.  I am learning more and more all the time, how far and wide 
> it is used, now.  
> 
> It tends to take a lot of patience and creativity to lovingly lead a baby down the path to being nurtured and fed at the breast, but it can be done!  It's especially true of a baby who has been traumatized, whether through parental abuse or neglect, accident, or medical procedures. Usually, the course of breastfeeding progresses as if there had never been a problem!
> 
> Anyway, I haven't seen many pictures on Lactnet, so I hope these are OK.  They aren't that great, I should have posted them in opposite order. I had to use my granddaughter's teddy bear as a baby.  I didn't think of taking pictures when I was going through the process with Julia.  By the way, Julia is now 22 and has told me many times that she appreciates the fact that I went through so much effort so that she couldn't be a nursing baby, like her siblings who were adopted when they were much younger. She says she still remembers how safe and comforted she felt when she was nursing.
> 
> This only works with a nipple with one hole it in, which is small enough to seal round the tube.  It can be used with either a latex or silicone nipple, although it is a bit easier with latex.  Silicone can tear easily, so care needs to be taken in inserting the tube.  A plastic needle is a bit better than metal, but either works.
>           
> 
>  		 	   		  
> 
> COMMANDS:
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of LACTNET Digest - 5 Jul 2013 (#2013-368)
> **********************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2