Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:36:58 -0400
> Bill can do another *rant* if he wants. (chuckle)

I have an even disposition, always ranting.

A question for you Bob, in view of Randy's observation that most commercial
outfits he knows have low rates of colony loss,as do you.

But beekeepers in your immediate circle have 50% or 75% losses. If
beekeepers I know had those kinds of losses, I would question what they are
doing different than me, because something is different.

Usually I know what the differences are and they are in management, just as
Randy notes.

I learned long ago on the blueberry barrens, looking at commercial
pollinators bees, that there can be a lot of mismanagement even with
beekeepers who depend on bees as a living. Made fell good that they were no
better at keeping bees than me, and that I was in a much better position to
manage mine because of the few colonies I had to manage. Also made me
wonder how they stayed in business.

Once, a long time ago, I was the main point of contact in Maine for
beekeeping. From that I developed  contacts with whom I still communicate.
Most of what hear is in line with Randy's observations and that most,not
all,of the problems with major losses are beekeeper problems and usually
always Varroa.

So it is a tragedy that some beekeepers you know have 50% or 75% losses
this year. But if you all are in the same area,why are you successful in
keeping losses down while they are not? I think we both know the answer.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine