From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:40:25 -0400
Christina wrote:
> There is very compelling work out there right now on gut microbiomes.  Just google "gut microbiome".  Incredible and fascinating work pops up.  Sorry, Pete, this is not "nothing of note".

You are right, it is not nothing. My apologies for an abbreviated, poorly worded comment. Obviously, eucaryotes have extensive symbiotic systems that have coevolved, and are crucial for health and survival. My point was more directed at the idea that the various ailments are caused by imbalances in the gut microflora.

This reminds me of the whole "balance of nature" fallacy. We don't understand these systems. Therefore, how can we make declarations about balance? Perhaps they are radically fluctuating systems, that undergo significant cycles. Further, people tend to go from conjecture to conclusion without the necessary evidential linkage.

Whereas, viruses are known to be highly contagious, and cause widespread mortality. A shift towards virulence or newly evolved types could entirely account for what we are seeing in the decline of bee vitality. That is, isolated colonies doing better than colonies kept in proximity; unusual brood mortality with relatively low levels of mites, etc.

It is all worthwhile. The beauty of the human system is that we have many people looking at all the different areas, and we all benefit from this enhanced perspective. There is a natural tendency to want to focus because the big picture is so difficult to comprehend. Like the blind man with the elephant, I know there's a whole elephant there, but today I am thinking about the ivory.

Pete