Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2013 22:45:35 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Any thoughts on what this is are greatly appreciated!

Permission to post: A mom has been exclusively pumping for 8 mos, and reports that for the first time she experienced blood in her milk. She reports she is one day late for her period. Mom described this bleeding as, "a lot of blood, dripping and dripping; it covered the bottom of the bottle, < 1/4 inch." She double pumps 3 oz from each side twice/day, using a Medela Pump N Style. She stated this happened "15 minutes into pumping, during the let down." She experienced this in her morning pumping on her L; in the evening on her R. Mother further explained that she found a large clump of thickened milk in the tubing "almost the size a penny," and a little more clumped milk; she is unsure at which point this was expressed, as it was found in the tubing.

I've checked Lawrence, BAMS, and the archives, and what I find is broken capillaries is the main possibility. Mother is concerned she could be pregnant, and this is some kind of sign. She claims nothing is different from what she has done for these 8 mos, no pain is felt, no tenderness, no lump in her breasts.

This was an LLL phone call; I did not observe her pump fit. She reports pumping does not hurt, no nipple soreness or broken skin.

Nadja Catano, M.A., MFTI, IBCLC, LLLL, MOM of 8

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2