From:
Bernshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:36:16 -0600
I certainly would not.

For one thing, human milk long-chain unsaturated fatty acids (such as
DHA) are in the sn-2 position. Palmitic acid is a short-chain
saturated fatty acid and should not be fed in such a high amount to a
baby and CERTAINLY NOT in the sn-2 position.

For another, triglycerides (TAGs) are neutral (do not dissolve in
water - think of the oil in oil-and-vinegar salad dressing) and
require extensive enzymatic processing in the digestive tract (not
well developed in the infant). They are not well absorbed.

Human milk contains phospholipids, which are polar and are absorbed
efficiently and without enzyme involvement.

Finally, arachidonic acid is the precursor of pro-inflammatory
cytokines (among other things), not quite what babies need. The immune
system in the infant is supposed to work without inflammation.

I wonder what these people means by "9 TAGs ... SIMILAR to those in
human milk fat." It goes without saying: who funded this work?

Poor formula-fed infants! If mothers only knew what they feed to their
babies!

Nicole Bernshaw