From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:14:25 -0700
> Hello all. A question regarding IBCLC as a career choice:
> > Do IBCLC's who are not also RN's most often work in private practice?
> > Should hopeful IBCLC's get training to open a small business?
> > How does one learn about this?
> > Thanks so much for your advice.

hate to be the nay sayer here.  If I was 10 years younger, I'd be getting my RN; I actually still think about it, purely as a job move.  IMNHO, there are tons more options open to IBCLCs who are RNs.  It really does depend on what you want to do.  Having the RN opens some of the doors that are closed.  No offense intended to any on the list -- some RNs get the IBCLC as a career move; why can't an IBCLC get an RN as a career move?  Where I live, if you want to work in a medical setting, not in private practice or for WIC (both of which I've done and early love, btw), you pretty much need to be an RN.

Of course, I'm also an MFT who, in retrospect, thinks that if i'd gotten my MSW instead of a masters in counseling, I could still have gone forward with the MFT and been able to get a job to support myself along the way. YMMV

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC
Roseville, CA