From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:09:26 +1000
Hi Diana,
I guess I come from the perspective where for decades lactation consultants were instructed to "counsel" adoptive mothers to be "realistic" about their ability to make enough milk. What mothers heard loud and clear is that they would not be able to make enough milk and it became a self fulfilling prophesy. It has taken many years to get anywhere close to changing the idea that far from being rare for adoptive mothers to make enough milk for their babies it is quite common.
Similarly, I used to give IBLCE candidate lectures which commonly followed a presentation that included some discussion of the impact of PCOS on lactation. These almost IBCLCs had clearly taken on board the idea that PCOS would invariably result in problems with milk supply (I used to use a photo of an adoptive mum with PCOS who had been able to EBF to get the point across that you really couldn't predict what was going to happen in any individual case).
That said, I don't have a big problem with your wording below. I think that the ideal is all mothers being given excellent anticipatory guidance and follow up but I know that this is not available in many instances. How many IBCLCs are actually able to provide mothers with the sensitive sort of wording that you used?
I feel that we should learn from the mistakes of the past (ie the experience with adoptive breastfeeding) and not undermine women before they have even gotten started!!
Karleen Gribble
Australia