From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:08:22 -0400
Bill, what you said was really interesting.

My dad loves black walnut trees.  The gardeners in our family do not, as they secrete juglone which kills many of our plantings.  At any rate, 40-50 years ago we never saw black walnut seedlings here in the St. Lawrence river valley...only mature trees.  Good ones are worth thousands of dollars (probably why my dad likes them as he was a logger in his early life.  Me, I like the nuts...)

Now, however, they are popping up like weeds everywhere.  I think this began about 5 years ago.  What has changed?

More to ponder.

Thanks for your post.

Christina