From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:30:26 +0800
Randy asked:-

>doesn't it seem strange to you to post these two observations together?

Sorry Randy, obviously further explanation needed.

In my previous post, I indicated that the river flowing past my place on the other side of the road, drains from an agricultural area known here as the "wheatbelt". It is a large grain growing area where of course many other grain and oilseed crops including extensive canola plantings are grown.
So even though my location is remote, with no conventional agriculture which would employ extensive use of agricultural chemicals, those chemicals can, and I believe do, travel a long way downstream and impact on ecosystems here including my bees.

Pierre Mineau, an eminent Canadian academic scientist, previously attached to the Canadian Wildlife Service, has I believe written much about this type of scenario and has also recently briefed a  British Parliamentary inquiry about it.

PeterD
In Western Australia where our river ecosystems are often full of surprises, some of which bite!