From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 17:17:19 -0400
>Of course, they are helping. Without pesticides, there probably wouldn't be a crop.

I think the big problem with the neonic issue is the move away from control of pesticide use by the grower (IPM) and blanket seed treatment.

Bees and the beekeeper are not in the best position with the blanket use of a pesticide which in many cases is toxic to bees.

The neonics are coming to almonds in the future in my opinion and most crops bees work.

The neonic sellers are not going to stop looking for new markets.

>At least, not a profitable one.

With use on corn the loss as put forth by Bayer (U.S.) figures out to around 3% of the corn crop.

 The weather is a far greater factor for the farmer than pests ever have been.

The proven method of treating when needed (IPM) has served the farmer well forever.

Blanket treating a 100 million acres of corn to prevent the loss to pests of 3% of the crop only makes sense if you are the company selling the neonics *in my opinion*

Farmers wonder how they arrived in the position they find themselves in with the chemical companies and seed sellers.

Many admit they simply go with the crowd and not to question current farm practice.

The profit margin for the farmer has become very thin after chemical, seed & insurance costs.

bob