HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:43:59 -0700
Hi everyone,

Does anybody have a good source for 1/4 in hardware mesh?  I did a quick search on the Listserv archives and there are a couple of mentions of it, but that was quite a few years ago, at least what was returned on the search parameters.  The 1/4 in mesh/hardware cloth that is sold at big box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc is not suitable for archaeological work, at least what is sold in my area of MI.  The product they offer is made in China and is not woven and is very thinly galvanized.  This screen is rendered useless after about 2 days of use.  I did quite a bit of searching on the internet a couple of years ago but it seems that the only 1/4 mesh out there is the China made non woven stuff or high grade stainless steel, brass, etc that is mostly for commercial/industrial purposes.  I have a chapter member that is in need of building some screens so if anyone has any sources of archaeological quality screen, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim