HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Adrian Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:14:21 -0700
Hey Tim,

My iPhone is made in China and it is the apex of technological
advancement and quality.

My point being that the fact that the mesh you describe is of low quality
has nothing to do with it having been made in China, it has to do with the
American retailers you mention ordering a specific kind of mesh (metal
type, weave/non-weave, durability, expected uses, etc.) for a specific
price. Equating "Made in China" with "poor quality" is both bogus, and to
be honest, might be seen as slightly racist. Of course China makes lots of
cheap crap, but they also make highly advanced and durable things. And in
any case, the only reason THEY make it is because WE want it.

I don't at all mean to be argumentative or accusatory towards you Tim
specifically, I just wanted to point out that I think it's a generalizing
stereotype that may have had some truth to it in the past, but not longer
does.

And in my defence for going on this tangent (pre-emptive), I think this is
a very archaeological discussion, in more ways that one! I would be
interested in other people's opinion on this.

Good luck finding the mesh you are looking for!

Adrian
Adrian Myers, Doctoral Candidate   |   Department of Anthropology, Stanford
University