From:
Debbie Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:55:20 +1100
Hi everyoneJust wondering if anyone has any suggestions to offer for a mother who is desperately trying to wean her 19 month old son. She is 8 weeks pregnant and has very sensitive nipples. She also thinks she needs a break from breastfeeding before the baby arrives in September due to feeling extremely tired and overwhelmed. Her toddler is very capably self-attaching (whenever she sits down) about 3-4 times during the day and last night 3 times through the night. She starts the toddler off in his own bed after the night time feed (with which he refuses to settle without), but then usually ends up sleeping with him in his room on a mattress on the floor. Her husband (baby's father) is willing and available to help in any way that he can, but toddler screams the house down if no breastfeed happens, so mum comes in & the breastfeeding continues for the peace of all. She has already trialled several of the usual methods for mother-led weaning but is not finding anything that works or that works for her. She is certain it is a comfort issue, has tried a dummy and security blankets and teddy bears, but he wants nothing but a breastfeed. He is a picky eater when at home with his mother, but will eat a variety of solids and other drinks very well at daycare but then comes home & want to breastfeed. She is open to any ideas whatsoever and has given me permission to post here. A chiropractor has mentioned there may be a security or attachment issue due to a traumatic and interventional birth  (induction, epidural & forceps). Mum has always used attachment parenting, demand feeding, baby wearing and co-sleeping) and prefers gentle approaches. Mum is open to complementary therapies but is unsure if she fully believes in this theory. However, she has booked to see a naturopath tomorrow.  I suggested maybe she discuss with the naturopath re herbs that may reduce supply (and hence may lessen toddler's interest in the breast, although he is likely getting very little anyway), something to apply topically to nipples or something that may alter the taste of the milk. I explained that it would be up to the naturopath if there was anything she would recommend as possibly useful and providing it was safe during pregnancy, for the toddler ingesting it and to the skin of the nipples. Another thought I had was nipple shields.  Could they help in this situation? Could they act as a deterrent if the toddler does not like them? They may also help with the nipple sensitivity.  I mentioned to the mother about tandem feeding (and avoid this stressful issue now) and she is aware that this is possible but doesn't think she would like it as she will be busy enough with the newborn. I talked to her about keeping an open mind, that any decision is not all or nothing and goals and decisions can be changed. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Debbie Dixon IBCLCDubbo NSW AUSTRALIA