From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 09:35:04 -0400
I invented the liquid nitrogen freeze method while working on a project for
 EPA.  I found that neither the pin prick nor Steve Tabor's - cut and
freeze  in freezer- produced consistent  results.  The problem is that  physical
damage (pricking, cutting out bits of comb) can induce a repair  behavior.
Hygenic behavior is supposedly  controlled by   two genes, each with a bit
different behavior.    Also, removal  of paper is probably not a good test -
its just part of a two step  process.

As per area of brood - the larger the area you  kill, the more certain  you
will be to see bees take action - that's again not simply hygienic
behavior,  but a response to a damage 'crisis'.

What most have forgotten - our data showed that several small patches  over
more than on brood frame provided the most reliable test.

Medhat followed up our work with his butter dish, and we did something
similar with aluminum 'hockey' pucks.

Jerry