HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Hylkema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 14:35:15 -0700
We are excavating in an archaeologically sensitive area which is partially
contaminated with petroleum products from an old gas station. While we have
been excavating thus far outside of the underground chemical plume
(according to testing results from the engineering firm), we will be
monitoring the removal of an old storage tank area which at one time held
leaded gasoline. Soils testing onsite has proven that there is a lot of
dangerous stuff down there and it is highly likely that the tank, when
originally installed back in the 20's-30's, punched through existing
archaeological features. I've been looking at the OSHA website under 29CFR1926
Subpart P, but there's not much out there on the net about archaeological
work and hazmat situations specifically. I did find this:
http://depts.washington.edu/frcg/content/archaeology%20for%20web.pdf.

Have any of you worked in a situation like this? If so, what were your
excavation procedures? We have protective gear, so that's not really what
I'm asking about, but rather the excavation procedures themselves. Do you
excavate contaminated archaeological material? If so, how do you treat
artifacts? Do you discard those which would have absorbed chemicals? Keep
stone objects and wash them carefully? Let it all go into the dump truck
after taking basic photography and notes? Run the other way?

Linda Hylkema