Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 22:52:07 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hello Linda: I have recorded features ( historic coal gasification storage tank foundations) where I had to wear rubber boots, gloves, Tyvec suite, and respirator with a specific decontamination protocol every time we left the restricted zone. I did that about 20 years ago before I was HAZWOPR trained. I have since had the HAZWPR and RAD Worker II training for monitoring at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and in other areas of potential contamination for something as simple as monitoring a split spoon coring operation. That was just for Monitoring- excavation should have a very specific safety plan and qualified Safety Officer and Competent Person. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR State OSHA office and make sure that the company that is removing the tank that you will be monitoring is compliant (COMPLIANT!) with all the appropriate health and safety rules. There can be big trouble in a little space. If the artifacts are contaminated they may have to be treated as dangerous and disposed of properly. Sometimes the best that can be done is on-site analysis and disposal with the rest of the contaminated matrix and objects. Stay safe, be happy.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Hylkema
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CRM and Hazmat Conditions

We are excavating in an archaeologically sensitive area which is partially contaminated with petroleum products from an old gas station. While we have been excavating thus far outside of the underground chemical plume (according to testing results from the engineering firm), we will be monitoring the removal of an old storage tank area which at one time held leaded gasoline. Soils testing onsite has proven that there is a lot of dangerous stuff down there and it is highly likely that the tank, when originally installed back in the 20's-30's, punched through existing archaeological features. I've been looking at the OSHA website under 29CFR1926 Subpart P, but there's not much out there on the net about archaeological work and hazmat situations specifically. I did find this:
http://depts.washington.edu/frcg/content/archaeology%20for%20web.pdf.

Have any of you worked in a situation like this? If so, what were your excavation procedures? We have protective gear, so that's not really what I'm asking about, but rather the excavation procedures themselves. Do you excavate contaminated archaeological material? If so, how do you treat artifacts? Do you discard those which would have absorbed chemicals? Keep stone objects and wash them carefully? Let it all go into the dump truck after taking basic photography and notes? Run the other way?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Linda Hylkema

ATOM RSS1 RSS2