From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:53:27 +0100
Thanks, Lea, for the additional info :-) I'm guessing she is
stockpiling for separation from baby if she has an outside job to get
back to - which I know is a common practice necessitated by lack of
adequate maternity leave.
And thanks, Lara, for your input. I will defer to Lara any day of the
week, especially about pumping!  I so agree, this is a time to be
spent with baby rather than pump, but if there is a forced separation
in the not-too-distant future I can understand the mother's concern
about pumping. Still I would try to focus on how well breastfeeding is
going, because my hunch is that BF is the way to build a sustainable
supply, and the pumping part can be revisited when the need is more
imminent.
Sometimes we use syntocinon nasal spray in connection with pumping to
'train' the mother to give down her milk to the pump. I would NOT
introduce it at this stage, because I would want to keep normal things
normal, but I would have it in the back of my own mind when planning
ahead and I would likely share with the mother that there are
techniques and tips for pumping, should she need them when the time
comes. Worrying about things that might never happen, is like paying
interest on a loan you haven't got. Drains energy that could be better
used on the here-and-now baby.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway