From:
Maureen MINCHIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 22:37:58 +1000
As Jim Akre said when mailing me:
'This is very big news! Breast milk protein complex helps reverse antibiotic resistance.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-05/uab-bmp042513.php

So what you would expect from first principles, that breastmilk can help kill even antibiotic-resistant bugs, is being 'proven' by science. Commonsense told us that already. As far as I'm concerned, don't ever think about suggesting that any baby is given immuno-distorting formula (rather than breastmilk) to 'prevent' any infection. Sure, reduce potentially infective bacterial loads by sensible use of gentian violet (great stuff, thanks Gonneke for reminding us) and covering open lesions. GV is anti-viral as well and great for reducing spread of chickenpox, BTW. As for fungal infections: check out the auto-brewery syndrome possible because of the higher stomach pH of artificially-fed infants, not seen in breastfed ones with their lower gastric pH. And test open formula cans for mould toxins and growth, not breastmilk.

Lactnetters would all have access to PubMed to search these topics, I hope.

Anyone is very welcome to share my previous post re MRSA. And spread the word re breastmilk killing the bugs we don't have antibiotics for. Show this MRSA+ mother the good news, and reassure her that soap and water and commonsense (title of a great book on this issue of infection) along with breastmilk, are the basic hygiene requirements for careful mothers.  Whatever multi-modal therapy she works out with her doctor should include breastfeeding, in my opinion at least.