From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:03:19 -0500
Dear all:
I'm really interested in Virginia's investigations.  There has been a wave of new bottles providing me with new clients.  These seem to be so wide and stiff that they are like someone with no breast tissue at all who has implants that stretched out the tissue too tight -- so that there is a slight rise to what is a very flat breast.

Basically, these bottles make the baby act like a sucker fish plastered to an aquarium wall.  A wide open mouth is one thing, but babies are not sucker fish.  They shouldn't have to grab onto a stiff flat surface to feed.

The second problem with these bottles is that the milk will not flow into the nipple unless you tilt the bottle way up.  This is definitely NOT the least bit like a full breast which HAS milk in the ducts which and doesn't have to be tilted to pour out. So, I started tracing photos to look at all sorts of angles for latching and noticed that you really cannot put a baby in a comfortable sitting position and tilt this type of bottle in ways that a) get milk up far enough to flow into the nipple and b) don't milkboard the baby because the bottle is tilted so high that it rushes in like a waterfall.  I discovered this when I saw a baby latched onto the bottle with his nose smooshed into the bottle nipple and his lower lip hanging off, even though his airway was open.  Even with that position, the milk wasn't high enough to flow into the nipple.

Best, Susan