Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:12:33 -0600
Okay, I want to say something about the Calma nipple.  I am certainly not impressed with Medela marketing but I have used the Calma nipple to get a baby BACK TO BREAST. Not once. Not twice. Many, many times.  The firmness of the nipple can help a baby with poor central grooving without encouraging compression.  When used in a side-lying position with baby's head elevated, it can help a baby learn to keep tongue forward, flanged while rewarding with flow.  I have found it helpful with Down's babies, baby's with laryngomalacia, etc.  The problem you will find with this is: there was a cost to developing the product. That cost needs to be repaid. The flow rates somebody reported do not reflect what a baby actually gets as that depends on what vacuum a baby can give.  Some babies get nothing because they can't create enough vacuum to make it flow.  If I have a baby with that situation I will use a Haberman feeder. These things are just tools like a pump or a finger-feeder or a lactaid.  All should be used with guidance in selection and instruction on proper use.

And while we're discussing bottles - one of clients told me she received a gift in the mail of 3 Similac bottles and a case of formula.  What a great gift for a breastfeeding mom!  So while you are upset with Medela, don't forget there are even bigger fish to fry.