Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:12:33 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Okay, I want to say something about the Calma nipple.  I am certainly not impressed with Medela marketing but I have used the Calma nipple to get a baby BACK TO BREAST. Not once. Not twice. Many, many times.  The firmness of the nipple can help a baby with poor central grooving without encouraging compression.  When used in a side-lying position with baby's head elevated, it can help a baby learn to keep tongue forward, flanged while rewarding with flow.  I have found it helpful with Down's babies, baby's with laryngomalacia, etc.  The problem you will find with this is: there was a cost to developing the product. That cost needs to be repaid. The flow rates somebody reported do not reflect what a baby actually gets as that depends on what vacuum a baby can give.  Some babies get nothing because they can't create enough vacuum to make it flow.  If I have a baby with that situation I will use a Haberman feeder. These things are just tools like a pump or a finger-feeder or a lactaid.  All should be used with guidance in selection and instruction on proper use.  

And while we're discussing bottles - one of clients told me she received a gift in the mail of 3 Similac bottles and a case of formula.  What a great gift for a breastfeeding mom!  So while you are upset with Medela, don't forget there are even bigger fish to fry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Renee Hefti
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: Medela calma nipple

Thanks Sonya and Susan,

The valve explanation that works on suction (same principle as
syphoning) makes sense.  As soon as there is a vacuum the fluid pours out.  I did see the big hole but couldn't figure out why the milk didn't drip out at all.  "Clever" (unethical) advertising that Medela can show nothing comes out when filled bottle with teat is tipped upside down!!  
We need to tell all our mama's about this.

By the way I was also bottle fed (evaporated milk and corn syrup) and don't tell anyone but I sucked my thumb until I was 12!!  I was gassy... 
at 2 weeks of age my mom was told (doctor) to express some milk into a valve and it was diagnosed as "not good milk because it was too watery.

Renee (in Vancouver)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2