From:
Mandy Schaub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:42:46 -0500
The Jovanovic Diet for Gestational Diabetes is not exactly low-carb.  Her strategy "includes starting with a euglycaemic diet (comprising < 40% carbohydrates), which can then be individualized according to the patient's glucose levels."  For reference a normal balanced diet would be 50-55% Carb, <30% Fat and 15-20% Protein.  Jovanovic focuses on a lower carb (only 1 whole grain choice) breakfast and no fruit of juice at breakfast, but overall it is well balanced.  In gestational diabetics blood sugar can be higher in the morning which is why breakfast is lighter on carbs.  Fruit can be eaten at other times in the day and all meals contain whole grains.  It is a pretty healthy and balanced way for anyone to eat, not just diabetics.  In my prior life, before I became an LC, I used her diet as a base for all my gestational mommies.  In a healthy person, the carb level of this diet would be too high to trigger abnormal ketone production.

-Mandy Schaub, MS, RD, IBCLC  (Happy to no longer be doing diabetic education!)