From:
Tali Gassner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 03:01:45 -0500
Hi everyone,
I am both a lactation counsellor and a type 1 diabetic.
I wanted to pick your brains - as I can't seem to find a definitive answer...
I have started working with mainly diabetic moms and moms-to-be, and I feel really unprofessional for not knowing the answer to the following issues...

I understand that a mother's blood sugar levels do affect the sugar concentration in her breastmilk.
Is there a sugar level at which is it recomended that the mother NOT give her child her breastmilk - that the sugar level will do more harm than good?
Also, there is a state called Ketoacidosis - this is when the blood sugar levels are extremely high becuase the body does not have insulin to move the sugar into the cells for use, so the body starts using fat as energy. BUT, the burning of this fat produces a toxin called "ketones".
If a mother is in a ketotic state ("diabetic keto acedosis" = DKA), do the ketones flow over into her milk? should she breastfeed at this point or not?
how long would it take until the ketones no longer have an affect (in the same way it would be recomended for a mother to refrain from breastfeeding for 2 hours after drinking alcohol, until the alcohol does not have an affect on her breastmilk or baby).

I would really appreciate any insight !!!
Thanks
Tali