Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:58:09 +0800
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, I hope Norma doesn't mind that I transfer this here, but I'm so
> excited that she posted what the Massachusett's Breastfeeding Coalition
> had to say about the new AAP policy on the Lactnet Facebook cite here:

http://massbreastfeeding.org/index.php/2012/aap-passes-resolution-to-lim
it-formula-marketing/

> You can find the link to the original statement here:
> http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/

Interesting. I see in the sidebar of that AAP page a link to
text4baby.org, a programme that pushes SMS information to pregnant
people and new parents.

The text4baby programme is run by the National Health Mothers, Healthy
Babies coalition - sponsored by a dairy company that is a (former?
current? I can't tell) infant formula company (Horizon), but that either
way has very dodgy marketing practices, like their website videos by
feeding-bottle-sponsored Dr Greene on "Stages of Milk Transition" which
just assumes all kids will be weaned by the age of 12 months, and his
video "Your Baby's First Real Food" which is about starting solids (is
breastmilk not real food?), and "Transitioning from Bottle to Cup" which
again just assumes that all children are drinking from bottles.

(Another pearl from Dr Greene's webpage:

"Weaning a baby from the breast to the bottle can be a big transition
for both Mom and baby. The process is easiest if a bottle is introduced
long before the breast begins to be taken away. I urge families I work
with to begin occasional bottle-feeding once breastfeeding has become
easy and natural, usually by 2 or 3 weeks. As a father, I found those
opportunities to feed my children precious indeed. My children loved
them too. In addition, if the feedings are strategically timed they can
give the mother some much-needed rest."

)

I also don't see the AAP abandoning their formula company sponsorship
any time soon.

Lara Hopkins