Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:22:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I agree with you, Jane, that bottle nipples need to be used as tools and with guidance, particularly in your excellent example of babies who need help with central tongue grooving.  I concur with that use...except the babies I work with, once things improve, are so overwhelmed with the flow of the Calma.  Other firm, long, nipple shapes (such as avent, browns wide, etc) also work well for tongue grooving and they have a slower flow.  I am thankful that there are many choices available on the market to help the babies we work with.  

The main point I was making, as the "somebody" who mentioned flow rates  :)  is that compared with other nipples in a controlled situation with the same amount of suction applied, it IS faster. (recognizing vacuum as one variable that is measurable)  Hence, since it is marketed to the general public, not to be used as a tool with guidance but to replace breastfeedings for as many mothers who will buy it, moms need to understand flow. 

I would be interested to hear experiences of how the Calma worked for babies without suck issues; the only ones I know of (moms returning to work, babies nursing fine) couldn't tolerate the flow.    

Amy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2