From:
Janet Dombro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:42:24 -0700
I usually cut and paste to respond but this is so similar to what I need to
inquire of all your great minds:
PTP I am working only by phone, with a woman who assumed she had a plugged duct,
then mastitis in early July. Was given antibiotics and the fever went away, but
the plug never did. I FIRST heard from her July 26th. at which point the baby
was refusing that side (left) and nothing will pump out. She had been using heat
and massage, all the basics. I suggested she try cold packs and vibration rather
than massage, and since she was already taking IBU, I stressed that value of
taking it consistently by the clock rather than prn pain. I also suggested she
no real change in the lump/ plug,  even with 3 ultrasonic treatments and I
insisted she see a Dr.to really assess what this lump is made of, that we
couldn't assume this was a basic plugged duct if it wasn't having any relief/
change from the basic treatments for plugged duct.
 Heard from her today August 7. She had been to a surgeon who has used a syringe
after looking at her overfull breast with ultrasound, and removed 4 oz of milk
and blood from her breast. No mention of pus and she has not had fever since
early July. The surgeon said he has never seen anything like it. He thinks a
duct ruptured. She cannot express anything from that breast.
 Well, her breast has filled back up, she is in debilitating pain and the
surgeon wants her to wean both breasts. I can send her info. from R. Lawrence's
book on the milk supply being different and the left can stop producing and the
right keep going, but I think he is concerned in the now as is the mom, about
the fullness in the breast she can't relieve even with ice and cabbage leaves.
Baby is now just over 5 months. It costs her $500 she says to go see this Dr.,
and he doesn't want to keep draining the breast as he is worried about
introducing infection into the breast.  Any ideas out there????JANET FISHSTROM
DOMBRO,IBCLC,RLC