Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:11:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
Hi Kathleen

It seems I need to invite you to visit our exciting new website on infant sleep here in UK that we designed for parents and colleagues who are looking for balanced safe sleep info, normal sleep development info, etc :) It is called ISIS (Infant Sleep Info Source) at www.isisonline.org.uk<http://www.isisonline.org.uk> and has been live and gathering users over the past 7/8 months.

ISIS results from a funding application I submitted to one of our national research councils and was gestated in collaboration with an experienced steering committee comprising senior folks from UNICEF UK Babyfriendly, NCT, and LLL GB. The content is all evidence based and referenced, written by me and my team here at Durham. We provide summary info for parents, and more detailed info and research summaries for health professionals and parents who like to read about research and the evidence behind the guidelines. We presently cover 'How babies sleep', 'Where babies sleep', and 'Sleep, health and safety'. Within each of those levels are sub levels on specific topics and issues. We have (so far) created 6 downloadable pdfs that you can print off for free (or purchase from us in bulk) to use in classes, give to folks without internet access etc.

We have received 45,000 visits to the site (over 30K unique visitors) so far from all around the world, but as the project was UK research council funded we have (so far) focussed on tailoring the info to UK families and their health providers. We are continually producing new sections of information and are happy to receive suggestions of topics to add. We have a facebook page and a twitter account to alert those who follow us to updates, relevant new research, response to media stories etc. We have twitter followers and fb friends (again) from around the world. Links to ISIS are popping up on website all over the place :)

So, some shameless advertising in response to your question, but we make no money from any of it, take no advertising or sponsorship, and created it to have a direct channel to get the research evidence we and others spend so long generating out into the public domain. Check it out!

UK lactnetters heading to Cardiff next week to the UNICEF Baby Friendly Conference can come find us in the exhibition hall, say hello, and pick up some ISIS advertising to spread the word!

Helen

ISIS-mother, Anthropology Professor, and infant sleep researcher!

Sent: 29 November 2012 15:42
To: BALL H.L.; Lactation Information and Discussion
Subject: info on safe sleep

Hi Helen. I am wondering. Where would you suggest that I send mothers for info on safe sleep? Is there a website or a few that might be the best in terms of balanced information and good easy to understand guidelines? I use James McKenna's now, .. any further info would be good. We have a huge push here in Vermont to give new mothers the message that it is not safe to sleep with babies ever. I have been seeing mothers in their homes, newly home, who are not sleeping at all...standing watch over their sleeping infants, or taking turns with their husbands on "vigil" so that they never lay down together to rest.  They are absolutely petrified that their babies will die if they sleep with them, and I try to balance this with safe sleep guidelines just in case they feel that they want to sometimes rest during the day with their babies in safe sleep situations.  I am going against a huge wave of mainstream mania, I'd call it. I also see more mothers than usual crying, being weepy, depressed, and in general, not feeling at all good when they are home because they have no idea how to get any rest without putting their babies at risk.  Any ideas? And while I am mentioning it, did anyone ever see the Baltimore public service message that was at a busstop that I saw?  It was a picture of a young girl's face, and she saw her bed in the background, and the headboard of the bed was a headstone, and her words (printed ) were " this was his last resting place..." or something like that.  Really macabre. Talk about instilling fear. I was horrified, and took a photo of it, which I still have.

Where is the balance in life? New mothers need sleep. They need to understand infant physiology and be safe in their sleep practices.  BUt they do have to sleep sometimes, and most babies do not want to be put down for very long. This is a physiological fact and one that is wired in pretty deeply. I have heard it said that human babies have not changed much physiologically, but that human culture has changed a lot, and the two are not meshing well ( Note I do not say human culture has progressed, as it has not, in my book).

Kathleen

--

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN,  IBCLC
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "mail.google.com" claiming to be [log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeritageWoolSamplers
Independent Registered Board Certified Lactation Consultation
Inventor Lactnet & S<http://www.kbbspin.org>pin, Knit, Weave Housecleaning
www.kbbspin.org<http://www.kbbspin.org>
Williston, Vermont

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2