From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:47:26 -0600
I'm not at work today, but at work I have a handout, used with permission
and the author's name is on it. But I can't remember who it is, someone
from Lactnet long ago who may still be on here.
I think it is entitled "4 phase plan" or something like that. The first
phase is just bf the baby and naturally building up the supply. I hope
someone will chime in who knows what I am talking about, but the plan is
very good.

I'm not sure if this suggestion is on that handout, but many moms find that
they are fuller in the mornings, even though they are nursing the baby 24/7
including at night. If mother breastfeeds on one side at that first new
morning feeding, and pumps the other, she usually gets a few ounces to put
in the freezer. That is all the pumping she has to do that day. The rest of
the day baby will make up in his intake and to drive the supply, for
anything he missed from the opposite side. Like someone else said, if
mother does that for 2 wks prior to returning to outside job, she would
have 14 containers of breastmilk ready on the first day back at work. This
is what I usually recommend when moms ask how to store/stockpile milk for
return to work. Most mothers can just bf that first month, as 6 wks is
typically a time when moms in my area return to paid employment.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA