Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:56:49 GMT
It's not a surprise these numbers don't make sense to you. There's a missing vital piece of information -
the breastfeeding rate among the 70,148 infants.

If 70,000 of them were breastfed and 148 not, then obviously PS is much more common in bottle-fed babies.

If only 100 were breastfed, then that's a whole different story.

In this case, where 34 breastfed and 29 bottle-fed babies had PS, then to reach the conclusion that bottle-fed babies are more at risk, the breastfeeding rate of the whole sample needs to be over 34/65 * 100, or over 52%. (If the bf rate is 52%, there's no difference in risk for bf vs. bottle-fed.)

This is all assuming bottle-fed means formula-fed, as well.

Marcia in MN, who's taking Biostatistics at the moment :)