From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:31:43 -0500
Yasmeen,
I would recommend to *generously* supplement this baby with whatever is
available and generally used in your area (mother's own milk, donor,
formula). The method easiest for mother/baby to manage: cup, bottle,
lactation aid. It may be that baby should be advanced over a day or two to
full feeds due to him not used to taking in larger quantities, which might
be about 60 mls x 10 feeds or so. The weight should be followed closely, I
would recommend even daily if able, and if not twice a week.
I have definitely seen babies gaining poorly or not at all and having
wet/dirty diapers as per the guidelines. That is why weight gain is
important to follow and that pees/poops are only *one* indicator of bf
going well.
With the history of the mother, and the fact that she did not get to bf
until many days after the birth, I am not at all surprised her supply was
low.
I would sort of be looking at the other possible issues (palate and tongue,
infertility) but really putting that aside to get calories into this baby.
I would ask mother to express as often as she could manage for now.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC Mississippi USA