Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:28:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Dear all,

This project started out because many babies here in Italy born with cleft lip and palate are unecessarily fed via nasal gastric tube. While searching information about protocols for nasal gastric tube feeding, two people suggested that what is needed is early feeding guidelines (thanks Maria Paciullo:) ).

So here I am celebrating World Breastfeeding Week by writing a proposal for these guidelines together with a cleft doctor who is interested in distributing them throughout Italy.

We will have them approved by a neonatologist, but I am also seeking any Lactation Consultants amongst you who would be interested in proof reading them for me. 

The main concern of these guidelines is to avoid unecessary nasal gastric tube feedings, unecessary seperation, and getting the mothers milk supply off to a good start if her baby is unable to meet nutritional needs at the breast (a major hurdle in my experience).

I would appreciate responses especially from hospital based LC's and anyone who has experience with pumping mums in the first days (I'm citing Dr Jane Morton's work but have no personal experience with it).

Anyone interested in participating please e-mail me in private and I will send you a draft of the guidlines.

Alice Farrow
Italy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2