From:
Michelle Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 13:01:13 -0400
Of course it *should* be....but it isn't!

The evidence is glaringly obvious. I don't mean to sound like a skeptic however I suspect many professionals working in this environment can attest....if it were simply a matter of bean counting it would be a done deal!

This also has to do with the insurance industry. Why aren't they routinely *requiring* use of donor milk knowing the improved health outcomes and cost savings?? Why isn't the insurance industry *routinely* covering the expense of a quality double electric breastpump for mothers who are separated from their babies? Why don't *all* WIC clinics provide access to a quality electric breastpump for mothers who are experiencing breastfeeding problems, have lactation risk factors that would benefit from a quality DEBP, or who are separated from their baby either due to medical condition or return to work or school?

Each of these industries has declared the intention to increase breastfeeding initiation, exclusivity, and duration....yet the systems are not universally in place to accommodate these needs.

I was incensed to learn a few years ago that WIC was *not* utilizing the WHO growth charts...that seemed like such an easy issue to fix. I was surprised at the lack of reaction this issue seemed to raise on the part of breastfeeding advocates who were positioned within WIC to address this issue (I offered to fix it for the clinics I work in.....would have taken me less than 10 minutes). I realize WIC is implementing use of these growth charts this fall, however it was shocking to me that they knowingly permitted the use of a flawed growth assessment tool for years and cited 'large agency bureaucracy' as the reason when from what I could see it was really the reliance upon this electronic documentation system and nobody willing to insist the staff utilize an appropriate tool until the electronic documentation system was updated...instead they just continued to use the flawed old growth charts.......

The data exists, it's the *system* that isn't operating in a manner to support what the data shows. For me this is the difference between 'theory' and 'practice'.  There should be some harmony which is not often the case.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Donor milk can become a part of your NICUs program if your NICU & other depts
realize it is the best health choice for their babies (NEC&such) & they see the
cost differences. Compare one day treating NEC, or one NEC surgical day, or one
day of TPN, vs one day's donor milk feeds. Run the numbers and show them. Talk
to hosps that do use donor milk. You can do it