From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 18:41:50 -0400
the question isn't what to feed baby if mom isn't able to, the question is
how can we enable moms, working or not, to breastfeed to the world average
of 2-4 years!  In the USA we are lucky to get 2-4 weeks or 2-4 mo, and I'm
not even talking exclusive here :-(

Yes, if mom is totally unable to breastfeed or pump sufficient amounts, the
ideal is donor milk.  Making that happen won't be in my lifetime :-(  We too
dependent, as a global culture, and rely on formula.  Convincing people in
high places who could make extended leaves after a baby is born, or
workplace nurseries, or decent hospital practices to ensure BF success are
where our efforts need to go,  not arguing over whether or not formula is Ok
after 6 mo ( or 10 mo etc).  We know, deep down, that breastmilk, especially
directly from mom is best.
Pat in SNJ