From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 00:23:03 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Diane Spatz PhD, head of the lactation program at Children's Hospital of
Philadelphia (with a 99.4% pumping initiation rate in its special delivery
unit) said at a workshop that one case of surgical NEC cost $1 million;
that was in 2010. And that does not include a lifetime of total parental
nutrition because a baby surviving surgical NEC often has short gut
syndrome; cost = about $100,000/year. Chronic TPN use may lead to the need
for a liver transplant, another expensive procedure

Dr. Wight has written: "We would ALL like to use human milk fortifier made
from human milk, but the cost is enormous at today's prices, even given the
cost of a case of NEC."

Please help me understand how a few months of human milk products is more
expensive than that.

I don't get it. Millions of dollars are spent for ECMO and jet ventilators
to keep sick and premature infants alive; why bother if we are going to
give them cow products that make them sick and can kill them?

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth