HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laura Seifert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:43:49 -0400
While Facebook is easy and effective, we need to all be thinking longer
term and deeper engagement. Social marketing is about creating a community
that interacts, not dictating the message to them. Sites like Old Cahawba
can (and clearly have) done this well, but what about temporary sites like
Abercorn Archaeology? Once the project is done, are these Facebook sites
and blogs abandoned? The next project has to re-attract fans and regain a
following.

Fans or followers do not mean anything without action behind it. Are your
fans willing to write a letter to their mayor or senator to support
archaeology? Several months after your site closes, your page will no
longer be showing up in your followers' news feed. Could you rally the
troops to speak at a city council meeting then? Or get them out for a vote?

Think about consolidating projects locally like Georgia Southern U has done
with their projects (https://www.facebook.com/GaSARP) or in Savannah,
everyone is welcome in our Digging Savannah project (
https://www.facebook.com/DiggingSavannah). We need to create longer-term
engagement with our communities to make archaeology and history a normal,
everyday part of American life.
food for thought,
Laura

Laura Seifert

Chairperson, Savannah Heritage Emergency Response
http://sheronline.info

Digging Savannah <https://diggingsavannah.wordpress.com/>
a new archaeology program in Savannah
Find us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/DiggingSavannah>