HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:31:19 -0500
If the 5 depressions are laid out side by side, then the odds are highly to overwhelmingly in favor of them being graves. If not, way less so, with isolated tree falls being the culprits.

Investigation is tricky. Presumably PA has laws starting from at least the Resurrectionist days against disturbance of a grave without prior administrative approval. It may be as simple as the church granting same as it is private land, if that is the law; or as complex as the SHPO or local court system process. Either way, the legal ramifications need to be addressed before fieldwork.

A toothless bucket on a mechanical excavator would make quick work of determining whether the depressions had sharp 90° edges and therefore looked more gravelike than not. That still doesn't answer the ultimate question because the graves might have been exhumed later. A parishioner with a Mini-Excavator could probably be persuaded to volunteer for the effort.

Another avenue entirely would be police cadaver dogs. As there is no attendant graveyard, there is nothing to confuse the dogs, but the handler would have to be familiar with a low level of response left from a 19th century burial. And, CSI programs occasionally feature electronic sniffer devices that may be able to identify decomposed human remains, but again the time depth is an issue. A training exercise for the local forensic folks?

Perhaps the bigger question is absent some threat, why is there any real necessity to make the determination?

Lyle E. Browning, RPA
Browning & Associates, Ltd.
2240 Chartstone Drive
Midlothian, VA 23113